News and Announcements
Dear Field Hockey BC Members
On behalf of the Field Hockey BC (FHBC) Board of Directors, I am writing to provide for an important update to the second stage responsible return to play PSO framework. Following a recent update notification from viaSport (dated September 25, 2020), the previously approved PSO framework (date stamped September 3, 2020) has been updated to provide for clarity of expectation as it relates to the number of cohorts a general participant may be active within (at this second stage), what this means for PSO or NSO high performance participants, and contact tracing protocols.
In short and at this time, PSO framework field hockey participants are required to be restricted to a SINGLE field hockey cohort. The only exception is for participants actively enrolled in a PSO or NSO high performance program, where such participants are permitted to be involved in a second cohort. There is also no longer a requirement to file cohort detail with a facility operator or owner, although the collection and management of up to date cohort information remains essential.
The now updated and approved second stage responsible return to play framework (date stamped September 29, 2020) will be disseminated to LSO senior contacts, posted on the home page of the FHBC website (www.fieldhockeybc.com), and referenced through Society social media channels. As required, a copy of the updated and approved second stage framework (September 29, 2020) will also be sent to viaSport for public posting on the viaSport website (www.viasport.ca).
At this second stage responsible return to play, I once again take this opportunity to draw your particular attention to the required safety protocols, the required completion of attestation forms and management of contract tracing information, and the detail pertaining to the creation and management of the ‘Cohort’ model. It remains everyone’s responsibility whether it be planning for implementation or direct active participation to remain vigilant in the execution of safety protocols, and in doing so help to maintain a high level of participant confidence.
Yours in sport,
Mark Saunders Executive Director Field Hockey BC September 30, 2020
The document 2020_Second_Stage_Responsible_Return_to_Play_Framework_-_Field_Hockey_BC_COVID-19_Response_-_September_29_2020__Updated_and_Approved_.pdf was attached to this post.
The purpose of this framing document is to support the Provincial Sport Organization
(PSO) and the Local Sport Organization (LSO) to develop their own explicit plans to guide
the cautious and safe return of field hockey in B.C. during this pandemic.
The Provincial Health Organization’s direction is that field hockey’s return to play
framework consider three vital areas:
1. That activity planning considers a process to open safely
2. That measures are in place designed to keep people safe to avoid further outbreaks
3. That an action plan be in place should a case or an outbreak occur
The document 2020_First_Stage_Responsible_Return_to_Play_Framework_-_Field_Hockey_BC_COVID-19_Response_-_June_11_2020.pdf was attached to this post.
COVID-19 Consideration and Planning (March 20, 2020)
As the Organized Sport Sector in BC responds to the rapidly changing situation with COVID-19, Field Hockey BC continues to monitor the potential impact to our team sport environment. Given the growing and unprecedented uncertainty surrounding this health pandemic, Field Hockey BC is directing all members and affiliated clubs and associations to suspend all sanctioned field hockey activities in the province until further notice.
This decision will be monitored daily and reviewed on a week to week basis by the Field Hockey BC Board of Directors, with the expectation that a next suspension update will be posted early in April. As new information is received from both Federal and Provincial Government agencies, Field Hockey BC will provide appropriate program and service updates that we hope over time will include a responsible and gradual return to play. Field Hockey BC cannot emphasize enough that the health and safety of all participants in the field hockey community in BC is of the utmost importance and is central to any decision-making process.
To ensure the health and safety of the players, coaches, officials, volunteers, and fans in BC, Field Hockey BC recommends that all affiliated Leagues, Clubs, and Associations communicate to their members that they will cease all sanctioned field hockey operations immediately and until further notice. Field Hockey BC sanctioned field hockey activities include, but are not limited to, all indoor and outdoor competitions, leagues, training, practices, matches, in-person coach and official education, and formalized club group activities. The intent of this suspension is to limit situations of physical contact.
Whilst the entire Field Hockey Community in BC continues to work hard on contingency planning for the possibility that restrictions may be lifted over time, please stay patient as we collectively consider ongoing environmental implications. Field Hockey BC’s operational continuity plan is for Society staff to work remotely and all staff are equipped to continue their daily functions. Electronic media will be utilized to maintain lines of communication, with community members able to connect via phone and/or e-mail in the normal way.
Field Hockey BC thanks you for your patience as we do our part to support all of the unprecedented steps taking place to slow the spread of COVID-19. You can stay up-to-date on COVID-19 information by visiting the BC Government website and the Ministry of Health website. Our thoughts are with all of you and your families during this challenging time. FHBC BOD, March 20, 2020
Due to the ongoing Covid 19 Pandemic, the Junior Field Hockey season has been suspended until April 18th. This is for both the U10 program and the U11-18 program.
Practices will begin on April 14th, if the season resumes on April 18th.
We will keep you updated with any changes as things evolve.
Here is the message from GVJFHL President:
The GVJFHL executive board has been discussing the coronavirus disease and the impact it is going to have on our league. As of this morning we have decided to postpone the start of the league until April 18/19, the original start date was April 4/5. As of right now we are just pushing back the league one week as April 11/12 had no games with Easter long weekend.
Many recognized professional, minor, & youth leagues have cancelled until further notice.
It has been advised for social distancing to keep yourself a arm’s-length away from others, that is not possible in the sport of field hockey. It has also been advised to frequently wash your hands, we do not have sanitation centres for hand-washing set up at the fields. Field hockey is of particular concern as every child wears a mouth guard and will therefore 100% be contaminating themselves with saliva repeatedly during practices and games as they take their mouth guards in and out of their mouths. Although children do not tend to get severe disease they are likely important transmitters in this pandemic and will spread to other children, coaches and staff.
If you have any questions regarding the executive boards decision on this matter please reach out to me.
As of now the Adult Spring Indoor Program at SDRC has been cancelled. An update will be reissued closer to May 1. 2020. Message from Delta below.
As you are likely already aware, the City of Delta’s facilities are closed to the public. All Spring 2020 programs have been suspended until at least May 1st. This date may be extended as updates arise with regards to Covid-19.
If your program was scheduled to start and end between March 30 and the first week of May, I will cancel it fully. If your program end date is after the first week of May, it has been suspended until further notice. If the situation improves and programs are approved to run, we will adjust the start date, number of weeks, and price accordingly.
If you know you do not want to run a partial program and want to fully cancel for the Spring, please contact me and I will have this done. Many of you have already requested this option as a precaution to keep your staff, yourself, and your family safe – please know I fully support this and will plan your programs as usual for a future season.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate through this difficult time.
Stay safe and well,